School Council News - Feb 2024

Edition 6

School Council News Edition 6

Welcome to our sixth School Council Newsletter!

This edition will cover the February 2024 School Council Meeting.
*If you would like to download this as a PDF - please click SC News

This newsletter will be written by parents, to the parents, to create an open line of communication with the School Council and the important work it does.

Who are the current council members?

Staff – Susan Jackson, Aaron Jones, Michelle Mather, Andrea Smith

Parents – Rachel Jeffreys, Helen Woodruff (President), Julia Kahan, Leah Moore, Emily Jones, Lisa Vance and Lisa Cleland. Between the February and March meetings there is a change of members which is further outlined below.

This newsletter will

Provide updates about School Council decisions

Provide news on the work of Subcommittees


Provide a section dedicated to questions & concerns raised by parents


Do you have questions or concerns about general school matters?

We would like to invite parents to send us (the council members) any questions or concerns you have. We will raise any relevant concerns with management and/or at council, and provide responses in the following newsletter!

Please note – your privacy will be respected, and questions/concerns brought up anonymously unless you request otherwise. These questions should be relevant to general school matters, any personal concerns should be raised with your teacher or the school management.

You can email Julia, convener of the Communications committee at or any other members on the emails below.

Council Decisions and Updates

We’d like give thanks to the Council members now finishing up their terms (Leah Moore, Emily Jones, Lisa Vance and Helen Woodruff), Thank you for your time and contributions to our wonderful school! We look forward to working with the new Council that will be formed in March and welcome Rachel Jeffreys (returning), Georgie Lye, Iole Issaias and Ray Van Haven. At our next meeting in March, we will be electing the office holders for the year and conveners of the sub committees for 2024.

Andrea Smith (Grade 5/6 teacher) is joining School Council as a casual member until the Principal role is fulfilled.

In attendance at the meeting was Kevin Murphy, the new SEIL (Senior Education Improvement Leader) to update the Council on the Principal Selection process.

·         The date for advertisement of the role was confirmed to be 26th February

·         The process for selecting the staff and parent members of the Selection panel was initiated, and has now been finalised as Michelle Maher (staff) and Julia Kahan (parent). The President of School Council will also be on the Selection Panel, and the other two members will be the SEIL and a principal from another School. 

A proposal was discussed to create a Parents and Friends Association. This entity would work alongside the school to organise events and fundraisers. More information will be sent out shortly! 

Our current enrollment for 2024 is 330 children. 

Dates Proposed for 2024 School Council Meetings:

·         Term 1- 12th February 18th March

·         Term 2-  6th May, 17th June

·         Term 3- 5th August, 9th September

·         Term 4- 14th October, 11th November

Planning is underway to relocate the Camp Australia service from the Junior Library over to the hall.


Subcommittee Updates

We need YOU!

Did you know you can be a part of the important work of the School Council?!

The School Council has several sub committees that welcome any parents or community members. These subcommittees have the potential to make a significant impact on the quality of your child’s school experience. It is really up to us – there is so much we can achieve for our school and children through this work.

Farmers Market and Grants Committee

Committee Convener: Rachel Jeffreys -

The Farmers Market Committee is responsible for managing and improving the Farmers market, which is the major source of fundraising for the school.

Committee Updates

  • 2023 was a fantastic year for the Farmers market.
  • EOY figures for profit in 2023 - $34,840.51. In 2022 we made $26,296.34, so there was significant growth! Congratulations to all involved with our Farmers’ Market – in particular, Heidi Nankervis and Rachel Jeffreys, for their passion and drive to help make our Farmers’ Market so successful.
  • The new Market Manager is working well, and has brought back some much loved stalls.
  • Social media presence and ads have increased visitors to the market, and the breakfast stall has been very successful.
  • As the BFM is a fundraising initiative, it needs to be reported on as such. A P&L will be generated for the Kitchen/Garden program, and if there are extra funds (particularly due to the increase in profit generated in 2023), Council will review if some BFM profits can be directed to other projects and areas of the school.

Please contact Rachel on the email above if you would like to join the committee or would like to ask more questions about joining.

Communication and Engagement Committee

Committee Convener: Julia Kahan

The Communications and Engagement Committee is responsible for communications in two areas:

  1. Internal communications with school community – providing a Two-way engagement with the school community on issues resolution and ideas generation, messages from school committee; class reps and canvassing of volunteers and support for funding raising and initiatives
  1. External communications with school and wider local community to raise awareness in the community about what our school offers and increase interest in the school and the school activities such as fundraisers through promotions at community events, through social media and more, meeting with local government representatives, engaging with local kinders and other organisations. This is key to keep our school thriving!

Committee Updates

  • A proposal for Open Day and a School Readiness talk, and marketing events leading up to it was provided, and will be further discussed and worked on with school management in the next few weeks.

Please contact Julia on the email above if you would like to join the committee or would like to ask more questions about joining.

Infrastructure Committee

Committee Convener: Sue and Michelle have acted in this role -


The Infrastructure committee is responsible for making sure the school’s grounds and buildings are well maintained. This includes organising working bees, planning and implementing improvements to school grounds, reviewing quotes for works to the grounds and generating new ideas for the improvements of the school grounds.

Committee Updates

  • Council discussed that AIMS is now being used for facilities and leadership is updating themselves on the platform. Jane from the office will be reviewing the grounds twice a week for any issues.
  • Infinity Playground needs redevelopment. Our first point of action is to investigate whether the foundations are viable, which will allow us to rebuild from the deck upwards. Viability assessment will occur on Wed 14th to find next steps for the playground, this will also determine if some parts can be temporarily fixed.
  • Taraleigh PreSchool was flooded in January. Make Safe and the VSBA have assessed the damage to the Pre-school and have already commenced the necessary work to have the Pre-school ready for use again. In the meantime, the school has provided the spare Prep room for their use until they can safely move back to Taraleigh.
  • Taraleigh and the School are organising to get a side gate built at the Bignell Road entrance next to the carpark. This will increase safety for the children of the kinder and the school, as well as deter people entering the school grounds after hours.
  • Our arborist completed his biannual inspection to ensure our beautiful aging trees are safe. Lucky it was before the storm!
  • Quotes are being sourced for a significant clean up of the grounds gardens to be completed ASAP and get them looking beautiful! Once this work is completed, further planning will be done to start up Working Bees again and maintain and improve the grounds.
  • The committee with assistance from Rachel has been investigating grants which can be applied for this year for grounds and facilities. Two of these grants are the Inclusive Schools Fund and the Minor Capitol Works Grant.
  • Sprinklers for the oval have been set up for watering twice a week.

Please contact the School Council if you would like to join or run the committee or would like to ask more questions about joining.

Education Committee

Committee Convener: Sue Jackson –

The Education committee is responsible for settling and reviewing policies (guiding principles designed to

influence decisions, actions, that the school makes) and developing, reviewing and monitoring both the Student Code of Conduct (how the schools expect students to behave, how bullying will be managed and the school’s approach to managing student behaviour) and the School Dress Code.

Committee Updates

  • Getting ready for NAPLAN which starts on the 13th of March

Please contact Sue on the email above if you would like to join the committee or would like to ask more questions about joining.

Finance Committee

Committee Convener: Michelle Mather -

The Finance committee contributes to the development of the strategic plan and to the financial

planning and annual budgeting.

Committee Updates

The Finance committee meetings monthly and would love some new members. This Committee meets during school hours. If you have knowledge/experience in Finance, this could be a great way to contribute your skills to our school!

Please contact Sue on the email above if you would like to join the committee or would like to ask more questions about joining

Fundraising and Events Committee
Committee Convener: Leah Moore -

The Fundraising and Events Committee has two main areas:

  1. It is responsible for school fundraising and events – including the Thursday Markets. It will also seek to raise funds through other avenues and such as applying for grants and other fundraising activities. The committee will also propose potential uses of the funding raised.
  1. Organise school community events to provide opportunities for the school and community to engage with each other, building a positive, enjoyable and inclusive culture, as well as support the class reps in engaging with the parents to participate in school life.

The Fundraising and Initiatives Committee has newly started up and needs more members! This committee meets 6-8 times per year and at times by agreement with the committee.

Please contact Leah on the email above if you would like to join the committee or would like to ask more questions about joining.

Committee Updates

  • Shared calendar of events for 2024
  • Tania Sanchez will take over Mothers day and Fathers Day stall in 2024.
  • Possibility of having Morning tea/breakfast for Mother and Fathers Day will be explored this year.
  • Grandparents day in Education week
  • SC will follow up Bush Dance through Blackberry Jam